Toll-Free: 1-800-665-1077
Home About us Looking for Benefits? Plan Members/Clients Retirement Contact Us
Employee FAQ

Extended Health Care

Am I covered for medical treatment away from my residence?

You are encouraged to check into additional out-of-country emergency medical insurance while travelling outside of Canada. Your BCCA Employee Benefit Trust plan includes Out-of-Province emergency coverage as part of your Extended Health Care coverage for employees and their dependents. If you are travelling away this summer, review your coverage for Pacific Blue Cross or Green Shield Canada.

The maximum insured amount should be adequate in most situations. If you suddenly become ill while travelling, you should call

Pacific Blue Cross' Medi-Assist hotline at the following numbers:

Canada/US (toll-free): 1-888-699-9333
Outside of Canada/US (call collect): 604-419-4487

The customer service representatives at Medi-Assist can help co-ordinate your coverage options.

Green Shield Canada

The contact number is 1-800-936-6226 toll free. If the toll free number does not work, you can use the collect number: operator+519-742-3556. GSC Travel Assistance is available 24/7 including holidays. You can also call this number prior to leaving your province of residence for pre-trip assistance.

When contacting GSC Travel Assistance, quote the group number and the GSC ID number on your card. If your emergency is one that does not require immediate urgent medical assistance, contact GSC Travel Assistance to open a case prior to seeking medical treatment.

For additional detail on your Out-of-Province coverage, please refer to your employee booklet.

Am I required to register for pharmacare?

If you are a BC resident and enrolled with the Medical Services Plan (MSP), you can register your family to receive your maximum financial assistance under Fair PharmaCare. Your family includes you, your spouse and any dependent children whose Medical Services Plan coverage is on the same contract as you or your spouse. Your extended health coverage (EHC) requires that you take advantage of other plans that are available to you, such as the Fair PharmaCare program. As a result, the EHC plan will only pay for eligible drugs up to your deductible and amounts that exceed the 70% PharmaCare co-payment. In other words, your EHC plan does not provide coverage for drug expenses that are eligible under the Fair PharmaCare program. After you reach a certain threshold of drug expenses, PBC will contact you to request proof that you have registered with the Fair PharmaCare program.

You can still register for PharmaCare. As part of the registration process, you will be asked for your family's annual net income based on your previous year's income tax returns. You will also be asked to provide authorization for the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to send information from your tax return to Fair PharmaCare. You will be advised of your annual Fair PharmaCare deductible at time of registration, and will receive notice each year for the following year's annual deductible.

If you do not register, you will default to the highest deductible level of $10,000 per family. You can contact PharmaCare at 1-800-387-4977 (8:00 AM to 8:00 PM weekdays, 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM weekends). You can also register on-line at

Life Insurance

If I am presently being charged a smoker rate for optional life or optional spouse life insurance, can this rate be changed to a non-smoker rate at a later date?

Yes. If the Insured has abstained from the use of tobacco products for at least the past 12 consecutive months, he or she may apply for the preferred non-smoking rate by completing the GWL Non-smoker Rate Form.

What happens if I make a false statement concerning my or my spouse's smoking habits?

If an Optional Life or Optional Spouse Life insurance claim is filed and the smoking habits have been misrepresented, the claim will be denied. Any premiums which have been paid will be refunded.

Where do I go if I have a question or concern related to BCCA Employee Benefit Trust?

If you have a question about how the plan works or how to adjust your coverage, contact Client Services at:

Suite 120-4401 Still Creek Drive
Burnaby, BC V5C 6G9
Phone: (604) 683-7353
Toll-free: 1-800-665-1077
Fax: (604) 299-2982

Join Our Team:

For our current career opportunities, click here


The government of Manitoba has announced a reduction of the retail sales tax (RST) from 8% to 7% effective July 1, 2019. If you have employees who live and work in Manitoba, you will notice a reduction in taxes charged for these individuals on your July 1, 2019 bill.


Extended Health Care Dental Care Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance Long-Term & Short-Term Disability Insurance Employee & Family Assistance Program Medical Travel Reimbursement Benefit Basic, Optional & Dependant Life Insurance Critical Illness Hour Bank
BC Construction Association Employee Benefit Trust          2019 All Rights Reserved
Web Design Services by Snaptech Marketing